By Shelby Kisgen
If you are reading this, it is probably because you enjoy camping to some degree, or you are trying to figure out what the hype is all about. The bottom line is that camping is not just for men, women enjoy it too. If you believe that, then it is time to start planning you first or hundredth camping trip.
Since a girl’s night out in the woods is a life-changing, friendship-bonding experience, it is best to take along your favorite girls: college friends, work buddies, sister, mom, any female you already enjoy spending your free time with, but now you will spend it camping.
Follow this guide to convince the women in your life that Camping is Fun: 10 Ways to Convince Your Friends
- The Phone-Addict: This girl is a social media professional; she can scroll that little screen faster than the brownies can disappear in the work lounge. You need to convince her how cool she will look with Instagram photos of a campfire or mountain lake: no filters needed on these views. Explain to her that with Wi-Fi access she will still be able to stay current on world events while listening to the crickets chirp. Just be hopeful that when the cell service does inevitably fail, that you are prepared to make sure she enjoys herself without her phone.
- The Hippie: If this girl is not already camping, she will be an easy one to convince. Point out how many flowers she can add to her hair when she reaches the high meadow at the top of the hiking trail. Explain how she can go “off-the-grid” and experience a natural life.
- The Feminist: Ask her two questions: “So you are telling me that you are not brave enough to go camping? Is that why men camp instead of women?”
- The Girly-girl: Take her shopping to your local outdoor store; the amount of adorable leggings, jackets, and hats will make any fashionista’s eyes bulge. Tell her you will buy her that tank she is eyeing if she promises to wear it camping that coming weekend.
- The Adventurer: Find some challenging hikes and thrilling views. Showing her the pictures should be enough, but if not, make some joke about being scared and she will quickly want to come.
- The Pinterest Lover: Create a camping board, preferably with DIY crafts and campfire meals. No true pinner will be able to resist the pretty pictures and a chance to try out new tutorials.
- The Workaholic: This is a tough one. Explain to this lady that her stress levels are too high, and weekend camping will revitalize her. Lower stress levels will actually make her more productive at work, and add working years to her life, thus it is a working vacation.
- The Tom-boy: Tell her that showering is optional and that dirt abounds. She will flip at the idea of breaking the cultural norms of hygiene standards.
- The Serial Dater: “Accidentally” leave a mushy-ridiculous story lying around of a couple who met in the woods and fell in love while hiking. Then tell her that lots of single guys go camping, and that they are all in really good shape. Who needs Match.com when you have the woods?
- The Best Friend: This girl will go with you just because you ask, and possibly beg and plead. She is your best pal and most loyal partner, so make sure she has fun.
All silly stereotypes and jokes aside, camping truly is a great opportunity for women to bond and relax in nature. Strike a bargain with your friends; if they try camping with you just once, you will try whatever it is they have been nagging you to do with them: watch that crazy anime movie, eat tofu, or go dancing. Friendships are about compromises and self-sacrifices for another’s happiness. If they agree to camp with you just once, odds are they will love it and want to return. Then you have found your newest camping compadre.
Camping is universally appealing and tremendous fun is had across most age groups once they get into it. So many wonderful memories are created and often recorded. Below is a fun video posted of a co-ed camping trip: