By Janey Velasco
We all know the outdoors are a great escape from reality. Whether you need a weekend away from work or a week-long camping trip with your best friends, connecting with nature will help you regroup and forget about the stressors of our day-to-day life.
But camping isn’t just for destressing, it’s an activity that can be enjoyed year-long. While scrolling through travel blogs and social media, you’ll find so much wanderlust inspiration that you’ll be wanting to head out as soon as possible. If your family is just as adventurous, why not plan your Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s festivities in the great outdoors?
To help, here are some handy tips to make your holidays extra special this season.
- Reserve your campsite early: If you already have a place picked out, go ahead and book it. Camping grounds get busiest during the holidays so having a secure spot for you and your loved ones allows for better planning.
- Check the weather: No matter where you’re headed, you’ll want to know how to dress and what items to pack. Buy supplies ahead of time and go through all your camping gear to see what needs to be replaced.
- Plan health and fitness activities: There’s no doubt that the holidays call for overindulging. Make sure you do fun activities like hiking, yoga or you can even start the day with gratitude affirmations to help ring in the new year with a balanced mindset.
- Start a photo album: Make sure each family member or loved one takes lots of pictures. These are moments that will be cherished forever. At the end of the trip, you can make a fun photo album or travel journal. Include some fun wanderlust quotes to decorate your journal.
- Bring fun decorations: A holiday just isn’t merry without decorations. Find a local craft store and purchase a garland or better yet, gather materials like pine cones and branches from around your campsite and make the garland yourself. It’s something the whole family can enjoy. You can put it in your camper, cabin or tent.
- Have a gift exchange: To make your camping trip unique during the holidays, plan a gift exchange. It can be anything from a white elephant gift to a DIY craft. Make sure it’s a small one so that it can fit inside your car or RV.
- Plan some holiday games: To rest up from hiking, play some fun games like Christmas charades, stocking guessing game and even a game of Family Feud if there are many of you.
- Check out outdoor holiday events near you: If you’re camping near a city or cute town, you may want to check out their flea markets, tree lighting ceremonies and local holiday performances that take place outside.
- Cook your holiday feast over a campfire: There are many delicious camping recipes to choose from. Make sure you share a list with everyone in charge of cooking and assign roles so that everyone can contribute.
- Bring bug repellent: While the holidays bring together the whole family, bugs are unwanted guests that you do not want to celebrate with. Make sure you pack enough to get you through your camping trip.
- Send a holiday postcard: To share the experience with your loved ones, write down your experiences on these fun wonderlust printables (postcards) from Car Rentals. Include your favorite sites, activities and wish everyone a happy holiday.
As you can see, there are many ways to make the holidays unique and memorable. Spending this time outdoors definitely beats a crowded shopping mall and traffic any day! Check out a different camping site every year or even consider renting a fire lookout for some amazing views.